Thursday 26 March 2009

Maurice Agis




The creator of an inflatable artwork which blew away in a County Durham park killing two women will be sentenced later for health and safety breaches.
Maurice Agis, 77, from London, was convicted at Newcastle Crown Court of breaches relating to the 1974 Act.
Two women, Elizabeth Collings and Claire Furmedge, fell from his Dreamspace sculpture in July 2006.
Agis had been charged with manslaughter but the jury was discharged after failing to reach a verdict.
Claire Furmedge, 38, from Chester-le-Street and Elizabeth Collings, 68, from Seaham, died and 13 others were injured when the artwork broke free from its moorings at Riverside Park in Chester-le-Street. From BBC News.



Dreamspace

I don't know about you, but any article with the word 'artist' grabs my attention. But this saddened me. Although Mr Agis is ultimately responsible, I do not believe he should stand alone. Surely, such an installation, to be used by the public, would not have been allowed without stringent health and safety checks? Although it actually happened two years ago, my heart goes out to the families involved, because their lives have been changed irrevocably by an accident that was preventable.

Happier with the drawing, today, done with carbon pencil on Saunders Waterford 140lb HP watercolour paper.

2 comments:

Art with Liz said...

These are great Sharon. I recognised Sir Money Grabbing Fred right off! What a great idea for a blog - I'll keep watching.

SharonWrightArtist said...

Hi Liz, thanks, one problem I have already......deciding who to draw!